Democrat Joe Biden made a passionate appeal for national unity Saturday but also took square political aim at Donald Trump, branding the president a "divider in chief" who must be ousted in 2020. "Our president is the divider in chief," he added, accusing Trump of demonizing opponents and using scapegoats to fuel animosity. "If the American people want a president to add to our division, to lead with a clenched fist, closed hand and a hard heart, to demonize opponents and spew hatred, they don't need me," Biden said in a raised voice.
Sweden reopened the rape investigation last week. It was begun in 2010 but dropped in 2017 after Assange took refuge in the Ecuadorean embassy in London. "I request the District Court to detain Assange in his absence, on probable cause suspected for rape," Deputy Chief Prosecutor Eva-Marie Persson said in a statement on Monday.
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — For more than two decades, Nancy Mace did not speak publicly about her rape. In April, when she finally broke her silence, she chose the most public of forums — before her colleagues in South Carolina's legislature.
The Tomahawk and its controversies might make headlines, but as the U.S. Navy re-arms for high-tech warfare, the SM-6 is the missile to watch.The U.S. Navy in late January 2019 confirmed the designation of its newest cruise missile, in the process clarifying its long-term plan for arming its growing fleet of warships.The plan heavily leans on one missile, in particular. It's the SM-6, an anti-aircraft weapon that quickly is evolving to perform almost every role the Navy assigns to a missile.(This first appeared earlier in the year.)The Navy dubbed the newest version of the venerable Tomahawk cruise missile the "Block V" model, Jane's reported. There are two separate variants of the Block V missile, one with an anti-ship warhead and another with a warhead the Navy optimized for striking targets on land.Raytheon's Tomahawk has been the subject of controversy in Washington, D.C. In order to save money the Obama administration wanted to pause production of the long-range missile, which since the 1980s has been the Navy's main weapon for striking land targets from the sea.Congress overruled the Obama administration and continued buying Tomahawks for roughly $1 million apiece, adding potentially hundreds of the missiles to the thousands the fleet already possesses.
US airlines have been warned by diplomats that their planes face a risk of being “misidentified” as they fly over the Gulf amid heightened tensions between America and Iran, A notice from the Federal Aviation Association (FAA) published on 16 May underlined the risks the tensions pose to a region crucial to global air travel.The guidance warned US pilots to be cautious in flying over the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, as there is “heightened military activities and increased political tension” between the two states.Washington has dispatched naval warships and bombers to the region in an attempt to protect American interests, diplomats, and forces from what it called Iranian aggression. The FAA warning only applies to US registered aircraft, pilots, and US carriers. The UK is understood not to have issued a similar warning.The warning stated that tensions may “present an increasing inadvertent risk to US civil aviation operations due to the potential for miscalculation or misidentification".The FAA also warned of potential GPS interference and communications jamming in the area, which they say may occur with “little to no warning”.The region is home to major hub airports, including Dubai International, the busiest international airport in the world.
An explosion targeting a tourist bus injured at least 12 people on Sunday, mostly South African tourists, near a new museum being built close to the Giza pyramids in Egypt, two security sources said. A third security source said the bus was carrying 25 South African tourists from the airport to the pyramids area, and that four Egyptians in a nearby car were also injured by broken glass. Security and judicial sources said a rudimentary device containing nails and pieces of metal had been detonated remotely on the perimeter of the Grand Egyptian Museum, not far from the site of a roadside blast that hit another tourist bus in December.
Salem Sabatka, 8, was found safe and the 51-year-old man accused of abducting her was taken into custody, according to Texas police.
It was only about two months ago that Richard Yu, the CEO of Huawei's consumer products division, was telling a German newspaper that the beleaguered Chinese smartphone brand had been prepping a mobile OS as a kind of Plan B if the company ever got cut off by Google from relying on Android.He probably didn't expect the turn of events to lead to that outcome so soon, but it appears that day may have nevertheless suddenly arrived. Google has reportedly decided to cut ties with Huawei, which means the company has just lost its Android license, and its devices will no longer receive Android updates -- nor will its future handsets be able to access Google apps as well as the Google Play Store.Reuters was the first on Sunday to report this significant development in the ongoing flap between Huawei and Western governments and companies fearful that the company is a proxy for China's central government, as well as its national security apparatus. The report speculates this move by Google could "hobble" Huawei's ascendant smartphone business -- if true. That "if," of course, being important to stress, because the report seems to rely on a single source familiar with the matter.Huawei, that source told the news agency, "will only be able to use the public version of Android and will not be able to get access to proprietary apps and services from Google."The news follows Thursday's move by the Trump administration to add Huawei to a trade blacklist that immediately restricts its ability to do business with US companies. Google's move doesn't cut Huawei completely off from Android, as it will still have access to the version available through the Android Open Source Project, but the company as noted would lose some of the other benefits of a relationship with Google.The US and Huawei have for months now been at odds in a standoff that stems from the US trade flap with China. The effects of that trade tension on Huawei itself have involved everything from the US pressuring allies to cut ties with Huawei to the unveiling of criminal charges against company officials.https://twitter.com/HuaweiFacts/status/1129617257716305921Huawei has definitely been worried about this outcome for a while now. Huawei's rotating chairman Eric Xu told Reuters back in March in a display of defiance against this possible turn of events that, "No matter what happens, the Android Community does not have any legal right to block any company from accessing its open-source license."
Some liberals don't like Biden's centrist approach and focus on unity